Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hedgie Supplies

We are getting our hedgie THIS SATURDAY and decided we needed to get a few things going so that we will be semi-prepared when we get her. And we have decided to name her Six. I am assuming that the kid we are buying her from is just going to give her to us in her cage to transport back home, but I read that wasn't the safest idea, so we bought her this cute little carrier that I am sure we will need if we ever need to take her to the vet or to "show and tell" (as many of my co-workers are dying to see her now that I have blabbed to the whole office we are getting her). Also, amid my hedgie research, I have heard that "hedgie bags" are very popular and a good thing, if not a neccesity, to have on hand as a new hedgie owner. Surfing the web, I found a few people who make them, but took one look and thought "I can do that." So when we visited my grandma on President's Day, I took her sewing machine hostage, only to pull it out last night to use it and realized there are no needles and the screw that holds the needle in is missing. Ugh! And of course, I waited until 10pm to try this, so I ended up sewing it all by hand. I am by no means a seamstress, so don't laugh. I was getting tired at the end and didn't put as much effort into it as I feel I should have, but she won't care. It's VERY soft and will keep her warm and feeling safe-that's all that counts, right?

I picked out the green-ish blue with polka-dots flannel outside and Layne REALLY wanted black fleece on the inside. Since she will be all white, Layne thought it would look cool with her peeking out of the blackness. I have to say that I concur, although it wasn't my first choice, and with Six being a girl, I wanted to buy everything cute, pink, and frilly that I possibly could.

Hedgehogs use their sense of smell a lot (and can be the cause of bites and nips if they smell food or something else on your hands that is unfamiliar) and all the advice suggests sleeping with the hedgie bag or a t-shirt that you will then stick into the hedgehog's cage so they can get used to your smell and associate it with being safe. I was in such a hurry to make one last night because I remembered this little fact and wanted to get "my smell" (which sounds gross) on the bag so that hopefully she will not take long to be friendly. Here's to hoping! Only 1.5 more days left to wait!

No comments: