Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Where to begin...

If you received the following from your wife as clues to your surprise upcoming birthday trip...would you be able to put it together? Layne almost did. Well, he needed some help, but eventually figured it out. And it blew his mind that I put this trip together. That's right -- I got some major brownie points with this one...
(if you look closely, you can see my little *pilot* waving)

Layne was dreading turning "the dirty thirty" this year so I decided to make it the best birthday ever for him. I got tickets to one of his favorite bands, Stone Temple Pilots, reserved a hotel room and then we made the 19+ hour drive to Dallas, TX from Cedar City, UT to see these guys.

The morning after we stayed the night in Amarillo, we woke up all smiles and ready to get on the road to Dallas. Note to self: Never stay in Amarillo again. It is a small Texas town with some serious perma-stink, cow-smell issues.

Our lovely room at the Sheraton in Dallas. I would definitely stay here again. The wasn't really anything amazing, as you can see from the picture below, mostly the interstate and roads and noisy cars, but it was probably the most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in.

Getting ready to explore the Dallas Aquarium

This aquarium was set up pretty sweet -- You walk in and take some stairs up to the tree-top level and slowly work your way down to the underwater level. It was neat-o!






The next evening we drove to Thackerville, OK to see STP. Their concert was at the Winstar Casino and Hotel. The casino was amazing. Definitely a casino you would see in Vegas, but coincidentally was located in a little po-dunk town on the border of Texas and Oklahoma.
And eating at the Toby Keith bar and grill. I mean, we should have known better being two people who don't particularly like country, but this place was SUPER country. Toby Keith music videos being projected on the wall the entire time, trucks on the walls. The food wasn't all that great and we had to wait forever to get seated and then forever for our food.
I did love the tailgate seats in the waiting area though while we were waiting for a table.



Post Concert back at the hotel

I don't know that we will ever make it back to Texas, but I would totally see Stone Temple Pilots again in a heartbeat. They *ROCKED* and I love that my love had such a great time. Guess who we listened to the whole 19 hour drive back to Utah?


No comments: