Layne and I have been married for a little over 2 years now and a year ago on our 1 year anniversary, we decided to try for a baby. I had it all planned out: we would both finish college and hopefully he would find a job and we would move away to his dream job and a few months later, I would deliver. I have wanted nothing more in my entire life than to be mother. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to do in college just because I just want to be a mom. That's it. I'm one-track minded when it comes to that and I just figured that when I was ready and the time was right, I would just be a mom. I would get married, get pregnant, and have this cute little family. But that has SO not been the case.
At the beginning of this year, I was over the moon to find out that I was pregnant. I told Layne and he was very happy to. I think he was more surprised at first. That weekend we went and bought baby books and I bought a calendar and a journal so that I could remember all the details. This was an experience I never wanted to forget. A week later, I start spotting. I called the dr. a few days later when it didn't go away and they said that I should come in for a blood test and then another in a couple of days and just take it easy in between until they knew what was going on. After I went in to get my blood drawn the first time, I went home and started bleeding heavily and I just knew in my heart what was happening. I had been crying all weekend with worry that this would happen. And then it did. And my heart shattered into a million pieces in that moment. I called the dr and they said that I should just stay on bedrest for the next few days and try to relax - that it could be nothing and wait until my second blood test to see what was going on. I got the call the afternoon after my blood labs came back. She nurse told me that I was definitely pregnant but that my hcg levels had dropped significantly between the first and second test and that I was experiencing a miscarriage. I never ever imagined I would ever experience this. Especially not my first pregnancy. I had been so excited to see that plus sign. I was so excited I took multiple tests just to be sure I wasn't seeing things. But now that was all gone.
I had to keep going in for bloodwork to make sure that my body got rid of everything on its own and luckily enough for me, it did and I didn't have to go in for a d&c or anything. But it was awful. I would never wish that experience on my worst enemy.
My body didn't fully get back to "normal" or what I thought was normal, so I made an appointment to get everything checked out just in case. After some not-so-fun tests that I didn't even know existed on top of a ton of bloodwork, my dr. diagnosed me with poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). I didn't know what it was, but immediately started crying. He said not to worry, that it is common in women my age, but treatable most of the time. My hormones are out of whack and causes a slew of side effects and makes conceiving harder because, depending on the severity of your case, you either ovulate irregularly or sometimes not at all. I am thinking that I am in the latter category. Since my m/c (January), I haven't had a visit from Aunt Flow that wasn't chemically induced. My dr.'s suggestion was to start a round of Provera to induce menstruation and then Clomid to induce ovulation. The first round didn't work, and of course, we had to move before I could work with my dr. further, so now we have moved and I am seeing a new dr. this coming Wednesday. Of course, he can't see me the same week that I made the appointment (3 weeks ago) and who knows what he will say. I am trying to be optimistic, but I am just not a patient person and all of this waiting and not knowing is really getting to me.
I am scared for the future. I am grateful for the "options" available these days to couples who have trouble conceiving naturally but at the same time, I am a little bitter about the whole situation, like "what the hell did I do to deserve this?" I love children, I have always been around them and loved them all. I am good person, right? I mean, I try to be. And less than good people have babies all the time who can't take care of them and don't even want them. And then there are people all around me having no trouble getting pregnant and then there is me and then people ask "why don't you have kids yet? When are you going to get going on that?" I never know what to say to that - its not like we haven't been trying. It just isn't fair -- what if we can't even get pregnant at all? Then we have to pay $10,000-$25,000+ for either IVF or adoption for not even the guarantee of a baby? It all just really sucks and I just really needed to vent and get all of these feelings out because if I don't, I'm afraid I will explode. Sorry for the ranting and random swearing. I am a little bit emotional tonight. My heart is just feeling a little broken right now and I could really use some good thoughts and prayers sent my way. Thanks.

9 comments:
My heart breaks for you friend. I need to collect my thoughts and get with you later to be sure I can truly let you know how much I wish this could all go away for you. :( Hang in there...
oh my sweet neice words cant describe the heart ache I feel for you. I know I can't know what you are going through but it is good for you to get your thoughts out because it is the only way you will be able to heal. I know that Leeann went through the same thing and I was here for her so I can only imagine the intense pain this brings to you and Layne. I never even thought that you had problems concieving now I understand why you must be so upset with Jordan! I wish I could give you big hugs but my words will have to suffice. I know I'm not religous but we never understand why these things happen to good people and I don't think we ever will, but if there is ever anything I can do for you let me know I am only a phonecall away. Shoot I would even be your serogate if you needed! I love you so much and I hope that talking about this will help you to get closure and peace and hopefully someday as your heart desires have that family you dream of. if you need to talk I am here 9254089758. love always your aunt Jennie
I am glad we talked today. I love you and am praying for you. Life is so unfair sometimes, and fertility problems/miscaariages are so hard to understand. Why do bad things happen to good people? I will never understand. I have been in your shoes. I pray that God will bless you and Layne with a baby. The sooner the better! My heart aches for you and you are in my thoughts. Please keep us posted after your appt. xoxoxoxoxo
Auntie Leeann
We love you guys. Big hugs and lots of prayers. You know, WHEN you and Layne have a kiddo of your own, he/she will be the cutest baby-faced little baby in the Burt clan. Maybe the world just isn't ready for all that cuteness just yet. You are going to make an amazing mom someday; until then, thanks for being such a great aunt (and sister). We love you!
I am so sorry Crystal! :( Broke my heart to read that. It feels good to get stuff out sometimes, I bet it felt good to write all that. I am definitely thinking about you. Everything will work out as it should. Try not to worry. I know, easier said then done. Love ya!!!!! <3
Crystal! My heart is with you. Just remember your young and you have lots and LOTS of time. I know you'll have a baby when the time is perfect and when you do you'll be completely ready. Please try not stress, although if you're as impatient as I am, that will be more than difficult. Please know I'm home and always have an ear to listen.
Hey Crystal! I know it did take me a while to get a post up huh:) Oh yeah I do remember you mentioning that muddy drive you guys tried to make;-) Work is work and it keeps going as you know. I hear Lori is moving out to the East Coast too. You girlies will have to meet up. I am sorry about your mc. I feel so bad now that I asked if you were having kids soon when we went up to the cabin for the work party. I had no idea what you had gone through. You are right, you don't deserve it. You are going to be a great mom one of these days!!!
Oh Crystal, I'm so sorry your heart is breaking. You guys have been in my prayers ever since we e-mailed:) I felt the same way about going to college. I seriously never wanted to be anything but a mom so why the Hell can't I be! haha I know we all struggle to "make us stonger" but that doesn't mean you can't be sad or upset about it right?! I really pray that you will have the strenght and comfort to get through these diffcult times. Love ya!
I'm so glad I popped onto here today. Just so you know...5 children ago, I was in your shoes. I tried for over a year to get pregnant, only to lose the first one too! And there isn't anything that describes that, because its exactly how you said...I remember those feelings exactly! BUT...here I am, just 12 years later, and I've been blessed with 5 little monkies. That sounds like a long time, but it has gone so super fast it makes me sick. So hang in there...it will happen! Thank heavens for the miracle of modern medicine!!!
Post a Comment